Friday 27 June 2014

From The Student Teacher’s Desk…


Dear Readers

Welcome to my blog, 'ToolBoxEd'. Why ToolboxEd? Well, let me explain…

During this month I have attended a Digital Literacy Short Course presented by Casey Anley. This course was specifically aimed at teaching new teachers at the Stellenbosch Faculty of Education about ‘Going Digital’ (which introduces digital literacy and educational technology, as well as to consider how teaching and learning differs in the 21st century). If some of you are now overwhelmed by the idea of technology replacing our teachers, remain calm! Don’t fear technology – rather use it!

In order to successfully pass this course, we are expected to complete some assessment tasks. Starting our own educational blog happened to be one of them. So, here I am! At first, I did not know what to do or where to start, but I guess that’s how we all learn, right?!

I know…I have not yet answered the question concerning my blog name. Let me explain: ToolBoxEd eventually came to mind (after realising several other names already existed in this world wide web of ours!). Then again, I also spent some time reflecting, doodling and finally decided on ToolBoxEd. The name basically combines two words: ‘Toolbox’ and ‘Ed’ (referring to ‘Education’). Furthermore, the capitalized letters TBE imply ‘To Be Educated’. Hopefully, this blog will therefore be regarded as a so-called ‘toolbox’ with resources, tools and basic information on Education and Teaching itself.

It would probably be useful for you to know who you are dealing with, therefore I am sharing some background information about myself:

In December 2014 I will be completing the Bachelor in Education (BEd) degree with specialization in the Intermediate and Senior Phase. My major subjects are English, Afrikaans and Mathematics. I am particularly passionate about languages and have proved to be highly successful in these areas during teaching practice.

For the past two years I have been tutoring for TeachMe2. In this capacity, I am assisting with language development and homework. Furthermore, my leadership experience includes mentoring at Rachael's Angels (developing learners’ full potential through improved academic abilities and enriched life skills), coordinating music for Crosspoint Youth and assisting at Stellenbosch University during school learner visitations.


It has always been my desire to equip and enrich myself to such an extent that my teaching will make a difference in the lives of learners, developing their full potential in a remarkable way. May I inspire you to also do so!
Spending some quality time at
Immanuel's Haven

Teaching the children a few songs.
1, 2, 3, singing: " I just want to be
a sheep, bahbahbahbah..."
Reading Noah's Ark (at Immanuel's Haven)
A breath of fresh air!
Teachers all need a break at some stage! As
 they say: "Every successful [teacher] needs a
substantial amount of coffee"
- Stephani Piro

"So long, fare well..." (last day of teaching practice, 2013)


2 comments :

Unknown said...

The coffee is always the best in a staff room!

Unknown said...

Hi Alicea. Ek hou van die fotos op jou blog. Dit maak dit baie meer persoonlik. Sien uit om nog te sien wanneer jy weer proef.

.